1. How do we put the gospel into operation in the context of our marriage relationships?
2. Specifically, how do we apply the gospel to issues that divide husbands and wives?
3. How do we apply it in tense situations, especially where there is bitterness, anger or deep misunderstanding?
4. How do we apply it to some of the most common challenges to marital harmony and happiness -- e.g. in areas such as finances?
5. What is the Bible's teaching on the role of husbands and wives in a marriage?
6. What do we do when a spouse refuses or neglects to fulfill his/her role?
7. How do we apply the gospel in the area of disciplining our children?
8. How may we best conduct family devotions?
BACK TO BASICS
1. Why God ordained marriage
a. Genesis 2 i. That Adam might have a help ii. That she might be his equal in worth and dignity iii. The together they might fashion a solid family life: cf. 3:20, mother. iv. That they may live together in complete faithfulness: cleave = "stick to"
b. 1 Corinthians 7 i. To maintain moral purity: v.1-2 ii. To provide for the physical and emotional needs of each: v.3-5 iii. To provide a setting in which husbands and wives may show mutual respect: v.3-5 iv. And demonstrate mutual trust: v.3-5
2. Is my marriage fulfilling God's ordained purposes?
God's idea. Great, useful, lessons for our marriages. We need this instruction in a day when Satan is attacking the marriage. We must follow God's design and honor Him in our marriages, as He intended from beginning.
Dr. Alan Cairns served for 25 years as pastor of Faith Free Presbyterian Church, Greenville, SC, before retiring and being named Pastor Emeritus in 2007. Prior to coming to the United States, he pastored Free Presbyterian churches in Dunmurry and Ballymoney, in Co. Antrim,...