Andrew Fuller (1754-1815) was a gifted English Particular Baptist Pastor. This message was delivered to the Baptist Church at Canon Street, Birmingham at the ordination of Rev. Thomas Morgan to the pastoral office on June 23, 1802.
Practical, Relevant Message! The message title may cause many to fear that this implies blind obedience and submission to pastors, but Fuller quickly dispels that with this message that includes:
1. How pastors are to be elected, not imposed.
2. The criteria for submission to pastors, which is limited and qualified, not absolute nor arbitrary.
3. Criteria for hiring and firing pastors; what pastors are worthy of obedience.
4. The need for willing submission of people to their pastors, how they should behave toward faithful ones.
5. Get this: PEOPLE SHOULD EXPECT "PERSONAL VISITS" FROM THEIR PASTOR, to address personal matters!
What pastors today engage in personal visits, to "watch out for your souls", outsides of Sunday sermons?
This historic message rebukes the anti-authoritarian spirit of this present age, which rejects obedience and submission, and also the tyranny or disconnectedness, or lack of qualified pastors in today's churches.