Radio Streams
SA Radio
24/7 Radio Stream
VCY America
24/7 Radio Stream
382

My Favorite Things
Home
NewsroomALL
Events | Notices | Blogs
Newest Audio | Video | Clips
Broadcasters
Church Finder
Webcast LIVE NOW!
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Category
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Language
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -8 sec
Top Sermons
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Broadcaster Dashboard
Members Only

Breaking News All | United Prayer | SA Center | SA Newsroom
FRONT PAGE  |  1/20/2022
SATURDAY, NOV 19, 2016  |  238 comments  |  4 commentaries
Fastest-Growing Churches Teach Literal Interpretation of the Bible, Study Finds

A Canadian study of Mainline Protestant churches has found that ministries that promote conservative teachings and a literal interpretation of the Bible are more successful in growing their membership than liberal churches.

"If we are talking solely about what belief system is more likely to lead to numerical growth among Protestant churches, the evidence suggests conservative Protestant theology is the clear winner," said David Haskell, the lead researcher of the study, titled "Theology Matters: Comparing the Traits of Growing and Declining Mainline Protestant Church Attendees and Clergy." ...


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
www.christianpost.com

  START  
  Recommended sermons | more..
•  Albert Mohler on Joel Osteen • Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr. | 2/9/2008
•  The Church Growing • Richard Caldwell Jr. | 2/11/2004
•  Religion Encounters Worship • Jeff Lyle | 3/12/2006
COMMENTS  locked  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 238 user comment(s)
News ItemSystem Notice
SermonAudio.com
This forum thread has been closed by SermonAudio.
No further comments are permitted for this news item.

News Item12/1/16 5:02 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Good morning John,

In answer to my: "But this circumcision does not involve anything physical. Neither a physical priest nor a physical circumcision." you write...

John for JESUS wrote:
...
Besides all of that, the Priest is Jesus who will physically circumcise believers on the last day.
Please explain how you came up with that most unusual statement. Thank you.

Oh, and if you have the time, please explain what that has to do with my points on "flesh" not always meaning the human body.

Colossians 2:11 KJV
(11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ.

238

News Item12/1/16 12:03 AM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
John UK wrote:
But this circumcision does not involve anything physical. Neither a physical priest nor a physical circumcision.
Therefore the "flesh" in this text, and others, is referring to the sinful nature, the old man, the principle of sin which we got from Adam. It is not physical at all. And you can't get at it physically.
Your text in Romans 6:6 illustrates this perfectly.
So now apply this to John's letter, and you can see why he says that a Christian no longer sins, because he cannot sin.
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.
Galatians 6:1

Look how Christians can be overtaken in sin? The Bible says even the spiritual must consider themselves unless they be tempted.

Besides all of that, the Priest is Jesus who will physically circumcises believers on the last day.

Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:11

We are only to reckon ourselfs dead to sin.

237

News Item11/30/16 3:47 PM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
You mean, Kev,
Amer. Tract Dictionary 1859 wrote:
FLESH:

The substance of which the bodies of men and animals are composed. In the Bible, besides the ordinary sense, Job 33:25, it denotes mankind as a race, Ge 6:12 Ps 145:21 Isa 40:5-6; and all living creatures on the earth, Ge 6:17,19. It is often used in opposition to "spirit," as we use body and soul, Job 14:22; and sometimes means the body as animated and sensitive, Mt 26:41, and the seat of bodily appetites, Pr 5:11 2Co 7:1. In the New Testament, "flesh" is very often used to designate the bodily appetites, propensities, and passions, which draw men away from yielding themselves to the Lord and to the things of the Spirit. The flesh, or carnal principle, is opposed to the spirit, or spiritual principle, Ro 8:1-3

By the way,
[URL=https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/17/literal-interpretation-of-bible-helps-increase-church-attendance]]]http://tinyurl.com/hnnbgej (Literal interpretation of Bible 'helps increase church attendance' )[/URL]
I think it was more clearly written than the SA article.
By the way, this should always be [URL=http://tinyurl.com/ztkba3g]]]http://tinyurl.com/ztkba3g (The First Foundation: Consistent Literal Interpretation)[/URL] for a Christian.
236

News Item11/30/16 8:41 AM
Kev | San Diego  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kev
John for JESUS wrote:
Kev...
"John 6:53King James Version (KJV)
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Good luck on that one J4!"
Unless you believe and are baptized, you have no life in you. That's because when someone believes, they are indwelt with the Holy Spirit.
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
John 14:23
Oh J4 this is your response that flesh always means flesh look in the dictionary.

Even I don't think your that blind. Can't you just admit your wrong on this one? Or can you really not see it?

Your comment makes absolutely no sense to the topic at hand.

Imagine if you can't see that then no way could you see verses straight that has to do with 'predestination'.

235

News Item11/30/16 5:54 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
John for JESUS wrote:
John UK...
Colossians 2:11 KJV
(11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
This is still referring to having put away in our body of the sins of the flesh by Jesus.
knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
Romans 6:6
Hi John, yes of course it all happens inside the body, the human body. But this circumcision does not involve anything physical. Neither a physical priest nor a physical circumcision.

Therefore the "flesh" in this text, and others, is referring to the sinful nature, the old man, the principle of sin which we got from Adam. It is not physical at all. And you can't get at it physically.

Your text in Romans 6:6 illustrates this perfectly.

So now apply this to John's letter, and you can see why he says that a Christian no longer sins, because he cannot sin.

234

News Item11/30/16 5:38 AM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
John UK...

Colossians 2:11 KJV
(11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

This is still referring to having put away in our body of the sins of the flesh by Jesus.

knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
Romans 6:6

233

News Item11/30/16 4:55 AM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
John for JESUS wrote:
Flesh always means flesh in Scripture.
Hi John, no, flesh does not always mean the human body. Note,

Colossians 2:11 KJV
(11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Here we have Paul the apostle informing the Christians at Colosse that they have been circumcised, not by men in the flesh (the human body), but by Christ himself.

This is a spiritual circumcision and the object circumcised is "the body of the sins of the flesh".

Now if you can grasp what that word "flesh" means in this text, you will then understand what it means to have it circumcised, and then you will begin to understand what the apostle John meant in his first letter.

Now John, please don't engage your "I must get away from this text at all costs, so I will divert attention away from it and put out some red herring, and hopefully John UK will forget all about it" tactic. That also is a work of the flesh.

232

News Item11/30/16 1:05 AM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
Hmm, perhaps a better article than the one that SA used?
Harriet Sherwood wrote:
Churches that are theologically conservative with beliefs based on a literal interpretation of the Bible grow faster than those with a liberal orientation, according to a five-year academic study.

“If we are talking solely about what belief system is more likely to lead to numerical growth among Protestant churches, the evidence suggests conservative Protestant theology is the clear winner,” said David Haskell, the Canadian study’s lead researcher.

The findings contradict earlier studies undertaken in the US and the UK, which attempted to discover the underlying causes of a steep decline in church attendance in recent decades but concluded that theology was not a significant factor.

excerpt from, [URL=https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/17/literal-interpretation-of-bible-helps-increase-church-attendance]]]http://tinyurl.com/hnnbgej (Literal interpretation of Bible 'helps increase church attendance' )[/URL]

I think it was more clearly written than the SA article.

By the way, this should always be [URL=http://tinyurl.com/ztkba3g]]]http://tinyurl.com/ztkba3g (The First Foundation: Consistent Literal Interpretation)[/URL] for a Christian!

231

News Item11/30/16 12:31 AM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
not so fast wrote:
--those who love God are predestined to be confirmed into the resurrected image of God's Son. -- what about 1 John4:19- we love because He FIRST loved us? Kinda blows your theology out of the water.
Not at all. It confirms my theology!

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

God first loved sinners and if they love Him back they become predestined to be confirmed into the image of His Son.

Kev...

"John 6:53King James Version (KJV)
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Good luck on that one J4!"

Unless you believe and are baptized, you have no life in you. That's because when someone believes, they are indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
John 14:23

230

News Item11/29/16 11:48 PM
Kev | San Diego  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kev
John for JESUS wrote:
Flesh always means flesh in Scripture. You should look the word up in the dictionary. So I guess I can add "flesh" to the long list of words that Calvinist don't believe is literal? Lol
John 6:53King James Version (KJV)

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Good luck on that one J4!

229

News Item11/29/16 11:45 PM
not so fast  Find all comments by not so fast
--those who love God are predestined to be confirmed into the resurrected image of God's Son. -- what about 1 John4:19- we love because He FIRST loved us? Kinda blows your theology out of the water.
228

News Item11/29/16 11:39 PM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
Kev wrote:
What about the word predestinated? Lol.
Good one!

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Romans 8:29

They will look at the word predestined in this verse and imagine it to mean something else other than those who love God are predestined to be confirmed into the resurrected image of God's Son.

227

News Item11/29/16 11:02 PM
James Thomas | Fl  Find all comments by James Thomas
Seems as though John 6:45 and Isaiah 54:13 describe the means by which God teaches His WORD. Perhaps Proverbs 1:23 as well.

Isa. 28:9 whom shall he make to understand doctrine?”

same principal here.....

Deut. 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain

How?

Joel 2:28 I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh.

-------------
Isa. 28:18
Doth the plowman plow all day to sow?

Micah 3:12 Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field.

See Matthew 13....The field is the world.

The first vineyard tilled to become the new vineyard prepared(Matthew 21:43) to receive the 'WORD' of God..... the seed of life.... the gospel of love and grace Paul would preach.

The 'literal' is debunked by a simple cross reference of Deut. 25:4 with 1 Cor. 9:9.

226

News Item11/29/16 9:51 PM
Kev | San Diego  Contact via emailFind all comments by Kev
John for JESUS wrote:
Flesh always means flesh in Scripture. You should look the word up in the dictionary. So I guess I can add "flesh" to the long list of words that Calvinist don't believe is literal? Lol
What about the word predestinated? Lol.
225

News Item11/29/16 8:51 PM
James Thomas | Fla  Find all comments by James Thomas
John for JESUS wrote:
Flesh always means flesh in Scripture. You should look the word up in the dictionary. So I guess I can add "flesh" to the long list of words that Calvinist don't believe is literal? Lol
Did Adam literally die in Genesis 3?

The dictionary said he did.

224

News Item11/29/16 8:14 PM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
John UK wrote:
John, I refer you to my previous posts where I showed from scripture what the word "flesh" means in certain instances.
Flesh always means flesh in Scripture. You should look the word up in the dictionary. So I guess I can add "flesh" to the long list of words that Calvinist don't believe is literal? Lol
223

News Item11/29/16 6:37 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
Mike wrote:
Sorry, John, I may be too dense to see what you see in Gill's words. Who do you say are the children of Jerusalem?
Luke 19:43,44
"For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation."
Hi Mike,

No, you're the least dense person I have ever come across. You have a sharp mind and are thoughtful.

If you think about the chapter, at one time Jesus is pronouncing the most terrible woes on the scribes and Pharisees, but shortly is found grieving over Jerusalem, saying, "ye would not." I know it takes some thought, but who the "ye" are can be found in that chapter, and they are not likened to those chicks whom the hen would have oft gathered under her wings.

222

News Item11/29/16 4:55 PM
John UK | Wales  Find all comments by John UK
John for JESUS wrote:
John UK...
Believers are without sin and cannot sin because they have the righteousness of Christ. It is a righteousness that is not their own. In our flesh, which is dead and will get replaced, we are sinful. Why would you need a resurrected body if you were already perfect?
John, I refer you to my previous posts where I showed from scripture what the word "flesh" means in certain instances.
221

News Item11/29/16 8:08 AM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
John UK wrote:
Sure, we all have moments of lapse, bro.
However, what Gill said makes perfect sense. You have to read it through a few times until you see what point he is making. And then the context...
Matthew 23:29-33 KJV
(29) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
(30) And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
(31) Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
(32) Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
(33) Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Sorry, John, I may be too dense to see what you see in Gill's words. Who do you say are the children of Jerusalem?

Luke 19:43,44
"For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,

And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation."

220

News Item11/29/16 4:28 AM
John for JESUS | Atl  Find all comments by John for JESUS
ladybug...

I can honestly say I don't recall the works of the law which included walking aisles and asking Jesus to save us. What part of the law is that in? Nobody can do anything to help God save them because God has already accomplished salvation for us in Christ. It is finished! What must we do to be saved? To wash away our sins?

John UK...

Believers are without sin and cannot sin because they have the righteousness of Christ. It is a righteousness that is not their own. In our flesh, which is dead and will get replaced, we are sinful. Why would you need a resurrected body if you were already perfect?

219
There are a total of 238 user comments displayedSubscribe to these comments
Jump to Page : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 more | last



Kevin Swanson
Strange Case Francis Collins

Christian or Wayward Prophet?
Radio Broadcast
Generations Radio
Play! | MP3 | RSS


Tech Talk Zoom // Episode 06

Dr. James M. Phillips
You Asked For It Here He Comes

Bible Readings by Dr. Jim
Discover The Word With Dr...
Video!Play! | MP4

Dr. James M. Phillips
#31 God was Always going to..

Bible Readings by Dr. Jim
Discover The Word With Dr...
Video!Play! | MP4

Chris Hand
David at His Worst

The Life of David
Crich Baptist Church
Transcript!Play! | MP3

Dr. Andrew Woods
Middle East Meltdown 002

Middle East Meltdown
Sugar Land Bible Church
Video!Play! | MP4

Grant Van Leuven
Why We Use the KJV Pt. 1

Westminster Confession Class
Puritan Reformed Presby...
Play! | MP3

Sermon: #28 Wisdom Delivers You..
Dr. James M. Phillips

SPONSOR




SA UPDATES NEWSLETTER Sign up for a weekly dose of personal thoughts along with interesting content updates. Sign Up
FOLLOW US


Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal

MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
ChurchOne App New!
Watch
Android
ChurchOne App New!
Fire Tablet
Wear
Chromecast TV
Apple TV
Android TV
ROKU TV
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Echo
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
TECH TALKS

NEWS
Weekly Newsletter
Unsubscribe
Staff Picks | RSS
SA Newsroom
SERVICES
Dashboard | Info
Cross Publish
Audio | Video | Stats
Sermon Player | Video
Church Finder | Info
Mobile & Apps
Webcast | Multicast
Solo Sites
Internationalization
Podcasting
Listen Line
Events | Notices
Transcription
Billboards | Biz Cards
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations New!
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Embed Codes
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BLB
JSON API

BATCH
Upload via RSS
Upload via FTP
Upload via Dropbox

SUPPORT
Advertising | Local Ads
Support Us
Stories
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Earn SA COINS!
Privacy Policy

TECH TALK
Tech Talk Zoom // Episode 06
Copyright © 2022 SermonAudio.