Radio Streams
SA Radio
24/7 Radio Stream
VCY America
24/7 Radio Stream

My Favorite Things
Home
NewsroomALL
Events | Notices | Blogs
Newest Audio | Video | Clips
Broadcasters
Church Finder
Webcast LIVE NOW!
Sermons by Bible
Sermons by Category
Sermons by Topic
Sermons by Speaker
Sermons by Language
Sermons by Date
Staff Picks
CommentsALL -18 sec
Top Sermons
Online Bible
Hymnal
Daily Reading
Our Services
Broadcaster Dashboard
Members Only

Breaking News All | Religion | Society | Tech | Choice | SA Newsroom
FRONT PAGE  |  8/7/2020
SUNDAY, JUN 21, 2020  |  70 comments  |  1 commentary
Protesters tear down statues of Union general Ulysses S. Grant
Protestors in San Francisco on Friday toppled the statue of former President Ulysses S. Grant, who led the Union Army during the Civil War, in Golden Gate Park.

San Francisco police said that around 400 people gathered around 8 p.m. to take the statue down, though no arrests were made, according to NBC Bay Area.

Also torn down in the park on Friday were the statues of St. Junipero Serra and Francis Scott Key, who wrote the lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner."


CLICK HERE to Read Entire Article
thehill.com

|  FOCUS  |  Audio commentaries on this news item | more..
Statues are Crashing Down • 1,360+
Kevin Swanson | Generations Radio

   08/07/20  |  Senator: Department of Defense 'Unabashedly Discriminating'... • 9 comments
   08/07/20  |  More Farmers Declare Bankruptcy Despite Record Levels of Federal... • 11 comments
   08/06/20  |  In a horrific instant, a burst of power that ravaged Beirut • 5 comments
   08/06/20  |  New York City sets up quarantine checkpoints as it toughens... • 4 comments
   08/05/20  |  Billy Graham statue to replace that of Democratic white... • 48 comments
MORE RELATED ( SOCIETY ) NEWS | MORE..
   07/31/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Live Webcasting Architecture Overhaul • 1 comments
   07/14/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: MyChurch App v1.5 for All Broadcasters! • 7 comments
   07/03/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Spread The Net: Cross Publish Sermons to Social... • 2 comments
   06/20/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Pearl Mountain Coffee, 100% Profits to Mission • 5 comments
   06/06/20  |  Texas Lt. Gov. Patrick: The real way to address racism is for... • 21 comments
OTHER CHOICE NEWS | MORE..
   07/31/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Live Webcasting Architecture Overhaul • 1 comments
   07/14/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: MyChurch App v1.5 for All Broadcasters! • 7 comments
   07/10/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: New Overview Page for Dashboard
   07/03/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Spread The Net: Cross Publish Sermons to Social... • 2 comments
   06/20/20  |  SermonAudio Tip: Pearl Mountain Coffee, 100% Profits to Mission • 5 comments
MORE SPECIAL | MORE..
   08/07/20  |  Pope appoints six women to top roles on Vatican council in... • 12 comments
   08/07/20  |  Senator: Department of Defense 'Unabashedly Discriminating'... • 9 comments
   08/07/20  |  Congressman cites dozen attacks on U.S. churches, asks DOJ for... • 4 comments
   08/07/20  |  More Farmers Declare Bankruptcy Despite Record Levels of Federal... • 11 comments
   08/07/20  |  Chinese pastors ordered to praise Xi Jinping, slander US from... • 2 comments
OTHER RECENT NEWS | MORE..
COMMENTS | show all | add new  
    Sorting Order:  
· Page 1 ·  Found: 70 user comment(s)
News Item6/24/2020 1:25 PM
Dr. Tim | Way Down Yonder  Find all comments by Dr. Tim
Whether Jackson was a stinker or not is not the issue, Jim. The statues that are being torn down do not belong to the vandals, and therefore it is a crime to dismantle them whether you like the person portrayed or not. The president is sworn to uphold the law. I know your hero the Traitor-in-Chief Obama didn’t give a hoot about our laws, but the current president does.
70

News Item6/24/2020 10:59 AM
Jim Lincoln | Nebraska  Find all comments by Jim Lincoln
ABC.net.au wrote:
President Donald Trump has promised to use the full force of the law on those who vandalise or destroy historical monuments across the US.

Key points:

•President Donald Trump's actions were prompted by the recent vandalism of a statue of former President Andrew Jackson

•Twitter hid another of Mr Trump’s tweets behind its 'public interest' notice

•Mr Trump signed a newly-built portion of a wall on the border the US shares with Mexico

He said he would sign an executive order that would allow for the arrest of anyone caught defacing a commemoration to an armed services member on federal land, even though the government already had that power under the 2003 Veterans Memorial Act.

excerpt from,"US President Donald Trump cracks down on statue vandals, signs Mexico border wall, reprimanded by Twitter"

https://tinyurl.com/yayclj3u

Andrew Jackson was a stinker. However, he put off the Civil War for 30 years by facing down the South Carolinians.

69

News Item6/23/2020 5:33 AM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
B. McCausland wrote:
"Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee,
that it may be displayed because of the truth"
Sister B, firstly, you said: "...presently you are assuming things not intended or said..."

My apologies for that, especially if I have caused you grief.

Now this banner business. You have furnished me with a proof text, yes? Well it is a poor one. That is my opinion.

Let us think a minute. How do you analyse a professing Christian or Christian group?

How about: read and re-read, over and over, over and over, the NT texts, and get what the word of God says Christianity is, and what it is like in practice. Once you have that, test any professing Christian or group against that. Let us try that with banner-carrying Protestants found in NI called Orangemen.

So I'm sitting by the roadside watching an Orange march go past. The men are uniformed and they are marching in step like an army; they carry banners and flags; they are accompanied by a marching military style band which makes a huge amount of noise, especially the drums. It is an intimidating presence, scary, which it is designed to be.

I compare notes with my NT blueprint, and cannot find anything like it. So it is NOT Christian.

68

News Item6/22/2020 7:15 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John, you used to be able to read accurately other people's takes, or at least took great pains to understand them to your uttermost, however, presently you are assuming things not intended or said, misreading, and misrepresenting.

There has been enough said to figure out the sense, meaning and intend of my position, but you are constantly twisting the argument, ignoring facts and reason to trumpet yourself as the only champion for Scripture.

Frankly, your last statement borders insult out of presumption.

All mentioned was to illustrate intend, however, you turned it into unfounded attacks.

Your take that Scripture does not permit memorials because it does not strictly 'command' them, is a child of the regulative principle. If not commanded, it becomes indifferent when it does not affront other specific commands.

Christ's main memorial is visualised by bread and the cup, and was visualised before by the blood on the Egyptian doors.
Ensigns matter when based on reality and checked by sound theology.

And all started because your statement about the Geneva memorial was checked against.
And now you end accusing me of standing for something else than the Word of God! ?!?!

This is a total offence, and makes enough reason to terminate dialogue.
Fare well

67

News Item6/22/2020 5:43 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
"Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee,
that it may be displayed because of the truth"
66

News Item6/22/2020 5:17 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
Sister, let me repeat, just so that you know I am serious about what I say.

"Now beloved sister, if you wish to convince me of anything, you must needs approach me through the apostles' doctrine, not how your local or national church does things."

Of course it is your prerogative to ignore that, but then what are you hoping to achieve? Why are you discussing with me? I ignore everything you say which is not based upon scripture but the tradition of the elders.

Do you wish to convince me of anything? That can be a good motivation, if I am astray in anything. But arguments from anything other than scripture are not going to do me any good, because it is the word of God that is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

And when I read words like, "Protestants set up our banners!" in that militant way which cares nothing for souls, but simply wishes to be aggressive, in accordance with the sinful nature, then it really turns me off.

I am for Bible Christianity. This is what the Reformers were all about. But you seem to be more interested in the Reformation and huge spiritual leaders than you are in what they sought to restore to the church - THE BIBLE.

Why?

65

News Item6/22/2020 4:22 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John, you are out of focus while you stand behind the tree of worship as the goal and issue of the discussion, then missing the forest of passing on biblical culture or knowledge of the past to the next generations.
Two different things.
You are charging iconoclastic tendencies where there are NONE in view. They are not promoted either because the intend is completely foreign to such issue.

Israel gloried in God lifting up their banners as identity icons, nothing else.

If you remain exclusively mounted on your particular wing of truth, you will easily get the topic out of balance.
Bye

"We will rejoice in thy salvation,
and in the name of our God we will set up our banners"
Psalm 20

64

News Item6/22/2020 3:53 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
B. McCausland wrote:
John, you are out of focus.
Sister B, in mine own opinion, I have never been more sharply in focus than I am today, and it is getting sharper all the time. Whether or not it be by divine revelation I cannot tell, but I do see more and more the need to "Get Back To The Bible" lest the apostasy swallow up every denomination, Christian group, and Fellowship around the world.

The word of God to me is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path, showing me the way, the narrow road which leads to life, the difference between truth and error, the judge between the sheep and the wolf, the direction to go, the commands to obey, the revealer of false doctrine.

You see, sister, this is how the church began, before it went astray:

Acts 2:42 KJV
(42)  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Now beloved sister, if you wish to convince me of anything, you must needs approach me through the apostles' doctrine, not how your local or national church does things.

63

News Item6/22/2020 2:56 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John, you are out of focus.

Every doctrine can be stretched to extreme without its due checks, and such checks is what you seem to effectively lack when approaching the topic.
Yes, the Romish iconography is detestable, but it rooted out of an apostate church.

Take care

62

News Item6/22/2020 2:49 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
Sister B, you are fast losing the plot and getting further away from scripture, holding to traditions of the elders rather than listen to what God has to say. I'm sorry but that is how it is.

God's word says,

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Ps 119:105

But the majority of Christians and Christian churches today are saying,

Your word is NOT a lamp unto MY feet and a light unto MY path.

This is the cause of falling away, of course it is.

Instead of "I am of GOD", we get,

I am of Paisley, I am of Spurgeon, I am of Rutherford, I am of Smith, I am of Knox, I am of Graham, I am of Finney, I am of Whitefield, I am of Wesley, I am of Booth, I am of etc. etc.

Sister, your life is your own, and you are responsible for it, not me. So if you want to have a statue of Calvin in your back garden to remind you daily that there was a Reformation, that is up to you not me.

But as for me, I must conform myself to what God says, not what falling away people try to tell me to do.

Oh it is sooooooooo easy to backslide and fall away from God. Unless the church stands together around God, it is doomed, doomed to fail and disappoint God.

61

News Item6/22/2020 2:25 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
Have you ever gazed upon a drawing of the person of Spurgeon?
Watch out in case you are in danger of iconography!

Have you ever visited the Martyr's Memorial complex?
Have you seen where are the historical props situated?

Do you know how much Geneva steemed the Reformation?
Their citizens subscribed to a monument to the work of God, the Reformation, by portraying the different Reformers.

300 years after that event Reformation symphonies were written in its commemoration...

Let's not forget his works and we will tell them to the generation to come by all means.

60

News Item6/22/2020 2:14 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
B. McCausland wrote:
John, you distort what is simple by using hyperbolic reasoning.
If there is any thing worthy of praise... think on this.
On visiting Belfast Martyr's Memorial complex the visitor gets to seeing captions with brief comments under numerous paintings, photographs and busts representing martyrs, reformers, preachers, biblical commentators, missionaries or evangelists of renown.
Never in any of that church's service iconography is preached, exalted or observed.
Where the true gospel is preached there is no chance of confusing things. Attenders know well the purpose and difference of culture derived and entail in the true gospel.
The memory of the just is blessed
So Sister, you DO justify the erecting of statues within the church building, and would be happy to see all those figures found in the Geneva Wall on display at Martyr's Memorial? Or perhaps have them outside on more public display?

Now if you are going to argue with me on THAT, how on earth are you going to argue for and justify the statues in Geneva?

59

News Item6/22/2020 2:07 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John, you distort what is simple by using hyperbolic reasoning.

If there is any thing worthy of praise... think on this.

On visiting Belfast Martyr's Memorial complex the visitor gets to seeing captions with brief comments under numerous paintings, photographs and busts representing martyrs, reformers, preachers, biblical commentators, missionaries or evangelists of renown. A vivid history lesson.

Yet, never in any of that church's services iconography is preached, exalted or observed, contrarily it is dissuaded.
Where the true gospel is preached there is no chance of confusing things. Attenders know well the purpose and difference of culture derived and entrail in the true gospel from false iconography.

Know and use judgement aright, please.

The memory of the just is blessed

Yet the day of destroying the snare of the bronze serpent may arrive to any apostate church.

58

News Item6/22/2020 1:49 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
B. McCausland wrote:
The command forbidding images comes related to worship, say it forbids the bowing down to them.
Sister, I truly believe the answer to all these questions and answers is a proper understanding of the commandments, and I am not saying that I have got it yet.

You remember how the Lord Jesus dealt with the commandments, showing how really depthy they were, while the Jews simply took them at face value?

Someone says, "I never killed anyone in my life."

But the other says, "No, but have you ever hated someone?"

Knowing this, and knowing that the commandments are far more complex than appear at first sight, I put it to you that the second commandment has a complexity far beyond what we would imagine it to have. If what you say is true, we could have a line of statues in our church buildings, honouring them and reminding ourselves of their being used by the Lord in history. Eh?

The way you are going, you would have iconography taught in the most robust Christian churches, and have the worshippers use the icons merely as aids to worship God; not worshipping the icons themselves, but only God. But I will disagree with you every time on this.

57

News Item6/22/2020 1:16 PM
ken | The Old South  Find all comments by ken
common sense:

Do you believe God is sovereign ? Do you believe that Gods Counsel shall stand ? Do you believe God raise up one and put down another? If you do believe these things, why would you state that to put a man into bondage would " mar his character." Color has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject. Perhaps you should study Gods Holly word and learn what he says, and not what you want him to say.

56

News Item6/22/2020 1:00 PM
B. McCausland  Find all comments by B. McCausland
John, a 'memorial' does not necessarily include a sculpture.

The command forbidding images comes related to worship, say it forbids the bowing down to them.

You fabricate another strawman about honour.
To honour includes to hold in especial esteem for their significance under God, even in retrospect, but does not include adoration, veneration or devotion.

'love the brethren', or 'esteem those that labour among you and hold them in high esteem' are guidelines that include honour and are far away from worship which is what you fear.

To honour should not be confused with man made exaltation.

"The *memory of the just* is blessed:
but the name of the wicked shall rot."

55

News Item6/22/2020 12:34 PM
John UK  Find all comments by John UK
B. McCausland wrote:
Thanks, John.
1. The principle of remembering is Biblical.
2. Honour to whom honour is due.
Regards
Thank you Sister B. Now then.....

1. Absolutely! And I'm sure both of us could spend many happy hours recalling scripture where the Lord called upon his people to remember something important, such as Passover etc. What we can't find is a scriptural example of God's people sculpting something to remind them of something, unless you count Aaron's golden calf, who he said brought them up out of Egypt. Naturally we say that is wrong. But why is it wrong? It is wrong because God says it is wrong.

2. Now here is a tricky one, because the text can be used to justify almost anything relating to the exaltation of men by honouring them; or, if you agree, to the exaltation of women also, by honouring them. So how shall we do this?

Hebrews 11 gives us the gallery of people of faith, naming certain men and women and saying why they were so honoured as to be counted worthy of mention in the NT text. But NO statue of them! Why not? Because making statues of men and women is wrong. And why is it wrong? Because God says so.

It is so easy to just agree with God.

Or is it?

54

News Item6/22/2020 11:18 AM
Yolanda | AZ  Find all comments by Yolanda
Greetings wrote:
This is so ridiculous.
This is sinful and transgresses the God's Law.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness (of any thing) that (is )in heaven above, or that (is)in the earth beneath, or that (is) in the water under the earth: (Exod. 20:4).

We just turn a blind eye to a holy God and rationalize our use of images.

53

News Item6/22/2020 9:36 AM
Mike | New York  Find all comments by Mike
Jim Lincoln wrote:
---
✔ This article has a description of General Longstreet, someone that the South should have put up a lot more statues to❗👍
---
Still unable to connect your own dots, Jim? Since you are appalled by everything Confederate, why the high 5 for Longstreet? Here's what General Lee had to say:

"If I had taken General Longstreet's advice on the eve of the second day of the battle of Gettysburg...[then] the Confederates would today be a free people."

You wouldn't have wanted that, right, Jim?

52

News Item6/22/2020 7:19 AM
Greetings | Over the Rainbow  Find all comments by Greetings
This is so ridiculous.
51
There are a total of 70 user comments displayed | add new comment |Subscribe to these comments
Jump to Page : [1] 2 3 4 | last
Last PostTotal
New York City sets up quarantine checkpoints as it toughens...
jim lincoln from nebraska: "chrisgp this has absolutely nothing to do with..."
-2 min 
Senator: Department of Defense 'Unabashedly Discriminating'...
herbalmama: "qc, i saw the good news about your wife a couple of threads back...."
-58 min 
More Farmers Declare Bankruptcy Despite Record Levels of...
herbalmama: "watchmanrem not watchmaker. whoops."
-59 min 11 



Don Bell
Criminal Doctrine

Romans 9:15-21
Sunday - PM
Lantana Grace Church
Play! | MP3 | RSS


Hourly: The Possibility of Holiness
Dr. Kevin DeYoung
First Presbyterian Church
Staff Picks..

Arden Hodgins
Could Jesus Have Sinned?

1689 Confession
Trinity Reformed Baptist
Transcript!Play! | MP3

Sermon: MacArthur vs. Antifa & BLM
Kevin Swanson

SPONSOR | 7,900+

SPONSOR




SA UPDATES NEWSLETTER Sign up for a weekly dose of personal thoughts along with interesting content updates. Sign Up
FOLLOW US


Gospel of John
Cities | Local | Personal

MOBILE
iPhone + iPad
MyChurch App New!
Watch
Android
MyChurch App New!
Fire Tablet
Wear
Chromecast TV
Apple TV
Android TV
ROKU TV
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Echo
Kindle Reader


HELP
Knowledgebase
Broadcasters
Listeners
Q&A
Uploading Sermons
Uploading Videos
Webcasting
2-MINUTE TIPS

NEWS
Weekly Newsletter
Unsubscribe
Staff Picks | RSS
SA Newsroom
SERVICES
Dashboard | Info
Cross Publish New!
Audio | Video | Podcast
Sermon Player | Video
Church Finder | Info
Mobile & Apps
Live Webcasting New!
Solo Sites
Internationalization
Listen Line
Events | Notices
Transcription | PowerClips
Billboards | Biz Cards
Favorites | QR Codes
Online Donations
24x7 Radio Stream
INTEGRATION
Embed Codes
Twitter
Facebook
Logos | e-Sword | BLB
JSON API

BATCH
Upload via RSS
Upload via FTP
Upload via Dropbox

SUPPORT
Advertising | Local Ads
Support Us
Stories
ABOUT US
The largest and most trusted library of audio sermons from conservative churches and ministries worldwide.

Our Services | Articles of Faith
Broadcast With Us
Earn SA COINS! New!
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2020 SermonAudio.